Library Board Training
Marigold provides opportunities for training and professional development to support member library boards in growing their knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Do you have new board members? Do you want to enhance your board's knowledge about board governance such as roles, responsibilities, and relationships?
Marigold provides Board Orientation sessions to member library boards.
After Orientation, your board will understand:
- Libraries Act, Libraries Regulation, and other relevant legislation
- The Alberta Public Library Network
- Library board roles, responsibilities, and relationships
- Important issues such as finances and board effectiveness
Contact your Library Services Consultant to schedule Board Orientation.
The Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) Library Board Basics Workshops are open to all library trustees, library managers and library system staff. They are designed to help participants understand the structure of public library service in Alberta, and how to support the delivery of effective public library service in their communities and regions. In particular, participants will understand:
- Libraries Act and Libraries Regulation and other pertinent legislation.
- The structure of public library service in Alberta.
- Library board roles, responsibilities and relationships.
- Library board trustee roles and responsibilities.
- Other important issues such as finances and board effectiveness.
There is no fee for the workshop. Participants will receive a workbook and other support materials, snacks, and lunch. Other meals, travel, and any required accommodation will be the participant's responsibility.